About this blog

Taking time off of work and my life in Virginia to follow my long-time ambition to spend some serious time traveling. Headed down the east coast first in early February 2012, then spending a month in Goa, India, another in Argentina, then road tripping down the bottom of the US from California as I make my way back home. A lot of people have asked/suggested I keep a blog and though I will try to keep in touch with as many as possible, this will be the easiest way for me to share with multiple people. Thanks for your support!

Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm in India!!!

It was a 14 hour flight. Or was it 15? Does it matter? Dad made the journey with me to make sure I got here safe, to check out the resorts in Goa for possibly coming back with my stepmom, and just to spend some quality father/daughter time. Isn't he the best?

We had a relaxing and educational 24 hours exploring the tiny village of Mandrem Beach, including my first attempt at haggling. I didn't bring a beach towel so I went to one of the street stalls that appeared to be owned and operated by a 9 year old girl. A 9 year old girl who has a heck of a lot more hustle than most 30 year olds I know. I was able to get the price of the towel down from 400 rupees to 200... which is $4 USD.  A huge beer here is 100 ruppess, basically $2. Yea, don't hate on India.

The people here are very nice, and incredibly trusting. If you are shopping and want something and don't have enough rupees, they will let you have it and you can just pay them later. They're not worried about it. It's been a little challenging for me to adjust to this much trust when it comes to money. It certainly isn't the "American" way.

I've been at my teacher training training for nearly 2 weeks now and it has been so busy, plus so spotty with internet, that I'm only now posting on the blog. Sorry!!! I don't even have a lot of time right at this moment, so I'll try to just go for the highlights:

  • There are 31 people in my course from all over the world, mostly Europe. My roommate is named Anna from Austrailia and she is hilarious. 
  • I'm 10.5 hours ahead of east coast time and I spend most of my time from 7:30am here until 9pm or so in various yoga/ yoga related classes, five-and-a-half days a week.
  • I have not gotten sick or kidnapped and I doubt either is going to happen to me. 
  • I have already gotten to experience so much that I want to share but don't have time to right now... it's time to run off to a class!
I'll attempt to right more in the next couple of days!

Namaste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment